follow me icons

Friday, December 17, 2010

How to change .RubyMine config default directory location

I am using a JetBrains RubyMine ide to write and develop the test automation. RubyMine has provided alot of useful features for developing Cucumber in Ruby such as providing the function to easily find the steps definition from the cucumber scenario.

My work computer is using a desktop profile space which only allow me to store 2mb of data. Unfortunately, RubyMine by default stores all of the RubyMine config ".RubyMine20" in the default directory which is usually under your own folder. This RubyMine default directory happens to be in my desktop profile and I don't have the privilege to change/remove the desktop profile. This causes a lot of inconveniences for me since I have to delete the .RubyMine20 folder every time I shutdown my computer. It is very annoying.

I finally found out that you can change the .RubyMine20 default directory. You would need to change the "idea.properties" file which is usually located under your RubyMine\bin\idea.properties folder. In my case, it is located in "C:\JetBrains\RubyMine\bin\idea.properties".

Once you open the idea.properties file, you need to change the following variables:

idea.config.path="D:\your_new_directory\.RubyMine20\config"
idea.system.path="D:\your_new_directory\.RubyMine20\system"
idea.plugins.path="D:\your_new_directory\.RubyMine20\config\plugins"

No comments:

Post a Comment